Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blade Time

Latest topics

» Sorry i wan not active!
Switch to Windows' basic search tool in XP I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 3:39 pm by faseeh2006

» TOP 20 TRICKS TO SPEED UP YOUR PC
Switch to Windows' basic search tool in XP I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 10:14 am by JianWei-Jw

» Upload your files
Switch to Windows' basic search tool in XP I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 4:29 pm by faseeh2006

» Basic Skills!
Switch to Windows' basic search tool in XP I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 10:19 pm by faseeh2006

» How to Download, Decompress and Burn Playstation 2 Games
Switch to Windows' basic search tool in XP I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 10:17 pm by iyenboy

» Beginner's Guide to BitTorrent/UTorrent or any Torrent Client
Switch to Windows' basic search tool in XP I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 10:14 pm by iyenboy

» How To Use PCSX2 - The Playstation 2 Emulator !
Switch to Windows' basic search tool in XP I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 10:11 pm by iyenboy

» how to use kaspersky for lifetime !!
Switch to Windows' basic search tool in XP I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 10:09 pm by iyenboy

» How to Crack CD protection
Switch to Windows' basic search tool in XP I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 10:06 pm by iyenboy

Navigation

Switch to Windows' basic search tool in XP

iyenboy
    iyenboy

Switch to Windows' basic search tool in XP Empty Switch to Windows' basic search tool in XP

Post  iyenboy Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:07 pm

Learn how to switch from the Windows XP Search Companion to the basic search tool.
    As you probably know, the Windows XP Search Companion provides users with a lot of bells and whistles designed to make searching for files on hard drives much easier. But sometimes all of these extra features just get in the way.
    If you're longing for Windows 2000's basic search tool, it doesn't have to be in vain. The basic search tool is still available in Windows XP, and you can activate it with a quick registry edit. Note: Editing the registry is risky, so be sure you have a verified backup before making any changes.
    Here's how.

1. Open the Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
    2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState.
    3. Go to Edit | New | String Value.
    4. Name the new value Use Search Asst.
    5. Double-click the new value, type no in the Value Data text box, and click OK.
    6. Close the Registry Editor, and restart the system.

To switch back to the Search Companion, just go back to the Registry Editor, and change the Value Data to yes.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:57 am